Monday, July 22, 2013

Feeding toddlers

Auto correct is terrible but I am lazy and I am sure you can figure out which words are supposed to be something else.

I enjoyed feeding w&f when they first started eating food until they got picky. It was exciting as I am sure it always is when your kids hit milestones but holy cow. At this point I wish I has never given them junk food or stopped going them certain foods they didn't like.
They stopped eating bananas, apple sauce, oatmeal, corn, beans, green beans...  so I stopped offering and replaced those things with whatever they would eat. Because I hate kids with empty stomachs.  
Now they eat dry cereal with million cups of water for breakfast. 
Cheese mozzarella sticks, goldfish, yogurt, and fruit snacks for snacks.
Chicken nuggets or fish sticks for lunch. 
Peanut butter sandwiches for snack or lunch.
More dry cereal. Maaaaybe something different for dinner. Usually nothing good.

Two meals they love recently are spaghetti and a rice dish Neal's mom suggested on the back of a chicken rice packet that has chicken, green chilies, black beans, and corn. 

I used to be so good at making hem eat healthy by beating wary of sweet cereal and fruit snacks and junk but that goes down the drain with a dad who doesn't care what they eat/ won't feed then real food and other people watching them because junk food is easy and something they will eat. 
Ooooh how I wish they had never tasted a fruit snack.
It may not seem like a big deal to others or i seem to be overreacting but unless you have twins that are constantly yelling and screaming all day for cookies and fruit snacks and cereal you don't understand. 
I have GOT to crack down on this but I have to do it alone and I have to be consistent with saying no and just ignoring the whining until they decide what I give them is good and healthy and that they aren't going to get what they whine for. And that is HARD. 
I have to just offer the oatmeal or banana or broccoli and if they don't eat it they have to wait until their snack time and then until lunch and so on. 
They have dominated me with their requests and having a baby to breast feed now I can't always get up to get them what they want but they end up screaming in my face so I DO always end up stopping what I am doing to get what they want just so they will leave me alone. And I feel like I have done that so much already it will be impossible to break the habit. 
We have already started to say no to the extra water requests and they have started to cry less and and less depending on the time and situation. Today I said no and they actually said "no more water" and were fine! So maybe there is light at the end of this dark dark tunnel of crazy toddlerhood but I am not very optimistic and I am sure that is part of our problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment